Re: New nomeclature of ethernet devices

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:01:31PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
For good description of the problem (unpredictable names) and the logic
behind the chosen solution:
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/

The one thing I can't understand is why we still don't have "network
interface aliases" (equivalent to symlinks), so that systemd can name my
interface enp2s0 *and* eth0 instead of having to choose between those
two, just like it has no problem naming my SSD /dev/sda and
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-FOOBAR (and a bunch of other names as well).

Because a decision was made decades ago not to access network interfaces via /dev and changing that now would break a lot.