Re: Does 32-bit x86 support (aka [multilib] ) have a future with Debian after Buster

Andrew McGlashan composed on 2019-06-22 00:18 (UTC+1000):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Andrew McGlashan composed on 2019-06-21 20:03 (UTC+1000):

>>> ...That is, it probably doesn't make any financial
>>> sense to continue running an old 32 bit machine.
>> IOW, it doesn't make any sense on a purely financial basis
>> to replace a working PC.

> Sure, it doesn't make sense for every case, but there are often other
> factors; in time one of those factors will be lack of support for
> i386, even if it isn't Debian itself.

> And there are other reasons, power usage is but one; sometimes just
> the risk of an older box dying and having no replacement is a more
> important consideration.

Like I wrote, on a purely financial basis, the assertion you were making, to which
I was responding.

There are other reasons to keep an old PC, such as irreplaceable CRC controllers
or other proprietary hardware that doesn't work with new hardware, or lack of LPT
port availability on newer, lots of reasons, cutting in both directions.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/