Example of an M2 form factor SSD (was: Re: System on a chip - performance relative size and setup (how can the (Debian) setup make a difference?)

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:06:41 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> About the only thing I'd add to what others have said is that they now make

> SSDs in a different form factor -- if you look for them, they start with an

> M, iirc -- they are in the same size range as an SD card (well, a regular

> one, not a micro).

> You need a special socket to plug them into, and I'm not sure which (if

> any) single board computers (I'm trying to use that to refer to computers

> using a system on a chip) have that kind of socket.

Here is a link to an M2 form factor SSD (and some details from the description): (The example is a Samsung, and I found the example at Newegg, but this should not be considered an endorsement or advertising for either of them.)

By the way, the dimensions of these units vary, and the dimensions are encoded in the form factor, for example, the example M2 2280 device is 22 mm wide by 80 mm long (about 1" x 3"). (And 2.38 mm (~0.1 inch) thick, but, as far as I know, the 2 in the M2 does not designate thickness -- I could be wrong.)

<quote>

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3 V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7S250B/AM

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-250gb/p/N82E16820147741?Item=N82E16820147741&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=GD061919&cm_mmc=EMC-GD061919-_-landing-_-Item-_-20-147-741

Form Factor

M.2 2280

Capacity