Re: System on a chip - performance relative size and setup (how can the (Debian) setup make a difference?)

David Christensen wrote:

> I have considered installing and running Debian on SD cards.  At this
> point, I would probably choose a "high endurance" device rather than a
> "fast' device, because I want the system to last.  (The few solid-state
> device failures I have seen all followed the same pattern:  working to
> non-working, with no warning and little or no recovery.  At least one
> included the smell of roasting electronics; e.g. "let the smoke out".)

CF cards are much better but also more expensive.
No electronic device is meant to work forever - disaster recovery should be
always considered.

Depends on how your setup looks like, typically Debian is <4GB. I have
installations from 450MB to 2GB.

> I have tried running machines without swap, but found that they crashed.
> Now I always include a 1 GB swap partition when installing.

why not using swap (if disk space is available) disk space is cheap.

regards