Re: Okay, let's get X workingg on my new Stretch

Bob Bernstein composed on 2019-06-18 18:48 (UTC-0400):

> # startx

> Saints Be Praised! I had a colorful image in front of me, and my
> icewm had been neatly launched. No mouse problem. OMG!

> But it only works for root.

The gods of security have decreed that instead of startx you must use a display
manager to login and start your X session.

Don't let anyone know I suggested how to have startx work for other than root. ;-)
The security gods have determined it is unreasonably dangerous (and it might not
help):

	sudo chmod 4711 /usr/bin/Xorg
	startx

IMO it's OK to use to test that X works at all before choosing and installing a
display manager. Future updates will undo the chmod (for your safety).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/