Re: An Ounce of Prevention

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 12:07:16AM -0400, Bob Bernstein wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jun 2019, Andy Smith wrote:
>
> >What happens if you try to ping something? Like:
>
> It is the ping failures that give me the most angst [...]

> I was also interested to note that linode returned pings in ipv6
> mode. Switching to 'ping -4' ended any return of pings from linode.
> That was the sort of thing that made me think my "networking" was
> "not working."

FWIW, godaddy responds to pings (v4) here. One possible explanation
is that you're sitting behind of a firewall (yours or your ISP's)
which throws away (v4) ICMPs [1] -- so your pings possibly get out
there, but the responses never arrive back.

Cheers
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Control_Message_Protocol

-- t