Re: IPv4 v IPv6

On Monday 17 June 2019 02:24:47 pm John Hasler wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > But that opens yet another container of worms. If I arbitrarily
> > assign ipv6 local addresses, and later, ipv6 shows up at my side of
> > the router, what if I have an address clash with someone on a
> > satellite circuit in Ulan Bator.  How is that resolved, by
> > unroutable address blocks such as 192.168.xx.xx is now?
>
> In addition to the points made by others, the IPv6 address space is so
> large that were you to assign a random IPv6 address to every computer
> in existence (including all the embedded systems) the probability of a
> collision would be negligible.

I pretty well had that figured out John, but Murphy rents a room here,
owes me years of rent too, and the SOB even drinks my last beer from
time to time.  IOW, if its going to happen to anybody, I'm in the first
20 feet of the head of the line. :-)

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)