Re: Reading pdf files

Quoting k. jantzen (2019-06-15 17:40:24)
> On 6/13/19 4:29 PM, k. jantzen wrote:
> > in general I do not have a problem reading a pdf file with either
> > xpdf or documentviewer.
> >
> > But once in a while I get a pdf file that they cannot read and then
> > I have to go to Windows to open it.
> >
> > What is so spectacular about these files that they cannot be read by
> > the above mentioned programs? Is there another program that would
> > read such a file?

[...]

> As stated before I used documentviewer and xpdf.
>
> As a consequence of this discussion I tried evince and mupdf.
> They did not solve the problem.
> I did not try atril and okular because for those I would have to
> install so much extra stuff that I probably will use only in this
> context.
> Thus I do not know whether they would solve the problem.
>
> My conclusion: This seems to be the result of generating the pdf file
> under Windows. To read the file I have to use the latest version of
> the Acrobat Reader. Thus I will continue to use Windows in the few
> cases I get such a document.

If your problematic files are ok to share, then I can offer to take a
closer look at them and try find a better approach for you.

Apart from testing PDF viewers, what I would look into is various ways
to re-render the PDF, e.g. "ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen oldfile.pdf".

  - Jonas