Re: Reading pdf files

Quoting Cindy Sue Causey (2019-06-14 15:32:20)
> On 6/13/19, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> wrote:
> > Quoting k. jantzen (2019-06-13 16:29:27)
> >> in general I do not have a problem reading a pdf file with either xpdf
> >> or documentviewer.
> >>
> >> But once in a while I get a pdf file that they cannot read and then I
> >> have to go to Windows to open it.
> >>
> >> What is so spectacular about these files that they cannot be read by
> >> the above mentioned programs?
> >
> > PDF is a big complex data format, and several things could have gone
> > wrong, including the file being broken (but in a way that some
> > commercial viewers handle more graceful than what you tried on Linux)
> > and the files using features from newer revisions of PDF than is
> > implemented in those Linux viewers.
> >
> >> Is there another program that would read such a file?
> >
> > There are many PDF viewers in Debian.  Probably best way to sift through
> > them is to install the package apt-xapian-index and run these:
> >
> >   axi-cache search pdf viewer
> >   axi-cache more
> >

> > When your interest is in what PDF files the applications can render,
> > then you need not try them all but can check which underlying PDF
> > rendering library they use which are far more limited.
> >
> > Evince (a.k.a. "documentviewer"), Xpdf, Okular, Atril, Qpdfview and
> > others use Poppler:
>

> I started using Atril in last couple years after seeing it mentioned
> over on Debian-Accessibility. I haven't used anything else since. I
> haven't had any problems reading PDF files, but that just that means
> that maybe I haven't encountered any files written in a less than
> optimal way..
>
> Wandering off now wondering.... didn't or doesn't one of the viewers
> let us do some editing in addition to "just" being a viewer? I'm not
> finding it via a couple fairly non-invasive "apt-cache search"
> attempts via "main" repositories only. I'm sure I'm not imagining it.
> Seems like I remember either mentioning that feature over at
> Accessibility or at least thinking about mentioning having encountered
> it ages ago. :)

PDF "editing" can mean several things:

  * PDF files containing XFA forms that a viewer offers to fill out
  * Adding bookmarks
  * Adding annotations
  * Re-rendering (essentially creating a new PDF inspired by the old)

Okular was the first to support XFA.  Nowadays Evince should do too, and
possible simpler derivatives too like Atril.  A common problem is font
sizes handled wrongly - sometimes solved by installing fonts (e.g.
Microsoft-ish ones).

Inkscape and Scribus can (crudely) re-render PDFs (as can many scripting
tools albeit not interactively).

 - Jonas