Fetchmail not working after upgrade to Debian 9.9 (Stretch)

Hello all.

A colleague has very recently upgraded his Debian system at home from Jessie (not sure which version) to Stretch (9.9) and from that moment, fetchmail has failed to collect emails. I/we are relatively inexperienced with diagnosing & fixing such problems and are looking for any advice people here may be able to give us to overcome this problem. When fetchmail polls the email server, we get the following error message:

Jun 14 09:21:02 localhost fetchmail[15672]: Your OpenSSL version does not support SSLv3.
Jun 14 09:21:02 localhost fetchmail[15672]: SSL connection failed.
Jun 14 09:21:02 localhost fetchmail[15672]: socket error while fetching from cccmail@mail.chem.com.au
Jun 14 09:21:02 localhost fetchmail[15672]: Query status=2 (SOCKET)

Below is a copy of the .fetchmailrc file on that system (with any sensitive data replaced:

set no bouncemail
set postmaster "postmaster_details"

poll email.server.name
       protocol pop3 port 995
       with uidl
       user "username" with password "secret" is "local_account" here
       with ssl and sslproto 'TLS1+'
       with sslfingerprint "AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA"
       with keep
       smtpaddress "local_smtp_server"
       mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"

We have a near identical machine here at work, that has been running Debian 9 for some time, and it is collecting emails from the relevant email server just fine.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. Is there anything else that I can post here that might give those more knowledgeable than us a clue as to what we need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Joe Aquilina

Joe Aquilina