Re: What is agetty, and why can't it be stopped?

On Saturday 08 June 2019 01:18:21 am deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-4.9.0-9-rt-amd64
> > root=UUID=0e698024-1cf3-4dbc-812d-10552c01caab ro
>
> Gene,
> I can barely follow your problems with Stretch. I am just amazed how
> this could be that hard. I was wondering if you possibly copied
> configurations from your jessie, or is it related to the linuxcnc
> distro.

It could be. And the linuxcnc developers/spinners are being made aware of
these problem's also.  That particular kernel you see above I will
state, has the best latency figures I have ever seen on this particular
machine, which with a normal kernel is so horrible I'd never consider
actually running a machine with it.  Milliseconds of lag normally. But
latency-test shows about 20 microseconds.  So one could even run
software stepping, slowly but it would run.  Would be great if the
stepping was offloaded to an accessory pci card. Normally we use intel
cpu's because their latency-test figures can be as good as 4
microseconds for a puny powered atom board. Intel has of course disco'ed
that particular board, and I wish I had bought more of them when they
were available.

But we normally need more than the 17 lines we can get from a parport to
do a good job of controlling things. To that end a Mesa 5i25 card in a
pci slot, can give us 34 control lines on 2 breakout boards, or sub a
Mesa 7i76 for one of the breakouts which gives us up to 4 stepper
drivers, 16 other outputs heavy enough to drive small relays, 1 3 line
ABZ encoder input and 32 other inputs, more than enough to control a
tool changer, work pallet loaders, whatever we can dream up. And for
carving furniture parts, some of the jigs can get pretty complex with
their own motors to be controlled.

> Last time I had massive issues was at the time of woody-sarge-edge.

Thats a while back. Wheezy has been great for us, but all good things
must come to and end, if only because newer hardware demands it.

So we are having growing pains, some of which are directly related to our
realtime kernel needs. And there have been times in the past where we've
had to disable PAE on 32 bit installs because the PAE latency was bad,
same for a full 64 bit install, the bigger stack frame = lots more
latency. Linuxcnc itself is growing as we find and fix bugs and add
abilities. Since it can control virtually any machine, it is more
complex than the commercial offerings designed for a single machine.
Not well known, the utube videos have been taken down, but Toys TRO
engines are (or were, they've been secretive about it) carved from a
solid block of alu by linuxcnc. No commercial software can do that
without moving the partially carved engine block around to other
machines to do a specific operation. Capable of running a 9 axis
machine, its was at one time considered munitions subject to export
controls.

> regards

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)