Re: Docking station with thinkpad T480s

Hi Kenneth,

that is exactly the same problem.

I want create a bug-report. Could anybody suggest the correct package? Or is it impossible for the debian team to fix that?

Thorsten

On 02.06.19 18:24, Kenneth Parker wrote:

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 6:35 AM Thorsten <deb_thor@posteo.de <mailto:deb_thor@posteo.de>> wrote:

    Hi,
    the docking station work well except one situation. If I get my
    laptop
    FROM the docking station, the screen is black. System work well, with
    ALT-F1 the console work. But the X-Server don't refresh the screen.

I don't know the specifics of your System but, years ago, I used a Laptop with a Docking Station, complete with external Keyboard, Mouse and Display.  (Don't recall make and model, but it was marketed as an alternative to a separate Desktop and Tower).  My issue, was that the Video Chip in the Docking Station was, enough different from the one, driving the Laptop Screen to need, not only different Drivers, but different sections in xorg.conf.

It worked for me to "Hot Plug" it into the Dock, and I could use both monitors as separate Displays.  But I encountered something like your symptom, if I "Hot Unplugged" it.  Something about Adding features being okay, but taking them away giving "hilarious" Syslog Messages and, in my case, only allowing access to it via ssh.

One diagnostic tool for me, was that lspci gave different results, in the Dock and outside of it.

So I made a habit of shutting it down, before removing it from the Dock.

    regards Thorsten

Kenneth Parker