Debian standard installation media packages

Hello,

I have several machines that require a standard build environment after installation in order to build device drivers, such as NIC and WIFI drivers. These drivers or modules are not included in the free/non-free images (eg. Broadcom), I currently have the source codes for these saved on a USB stick. With the standard DVD image, the ‘build-essential’ meta package is not included and relies on an internet connection to install the packages required to build drivers.

If one does not have access to a wired network and you cannot build wifi drivers with the base install media, then you have no way of downloading the build-essential package.

Would it be possible to include the 'build-essential’ meta package (along with dkms) on the standard DVD installation image, or have a spin of the image with the build tools included. This is quite common on other distributions, such as Centos and Fedora and I cannot understand how this meta package has been omitted from the standard install media.

Regards and with thanks,

Jacques