Re: what does trade war mean for chinese linux user?

We can see that the US government is more interested in surveillance and propaganda on the internet than anything else.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019, 6:30 AM Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 11:04:57AM +0000, Long Wind wrote:
>    trade war between china and usa is escalating
>    an early debian distro has flavor for non-us users, because of us export
>    restriction? how does usa enforce the law on Internet?
>    it's not easy for me to use mail and i may not respond timely

The presence of the non-US archive section is a historical relic from a
period when the US considered certain forms of cryptography to be
"munitions" and so hosting implementations of said cryptographic
algorithms in the US such that users in foreign countries could download
them was considered a violation of several US laws.  The solution was to
host those cryptographic implementations outside the US.

The current trade war is more about tarrifs (and maybe protection of
intellectual property), thought since I've not been following the
details I am not certain.

In any event, the two matters are really quite separate and unrelated.

As to "How does [the] USA enforce the law on [the] Internet?"  Well, it
could be argued that they can't and they don't.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez