Re: Insidious systemd

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 00:09:21 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 20:53:47 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > > Debian/unstable (which should now be very similar to testing), fully
> > > up-to-date except a few unrelated packages. Various GNOME packages
> > > installed.
> >
> > Maybe, the "problem's" been fixed.
>
> Which problem, the error in your apt configuration,
> or the alleged dependency?

Whatever caused systemd to want to be installed on my Stretch
system, but not on Buster or Sid when installing wicd which explicitly
states having no systemd dependency.

> > > Note: The dependency resolvers are sometimes wrong, sometimes wanting
> > > to remove/replace packages even when this is not needed. In such a
> > > case, a solution is to provide packages you want to keep, e.g. for
> > > sysvinit-core:
> >
> > Could be the reason, but I shouldn't have to do that.  That's why I
> > don't think an init system should every be a dependency of the system or
> > any app.  None of the others are.  Why does systemd have to be?
>
> What is the actual dependency that you're complaining about, ie which
> specific package depends on which? I can't follow exactly how far
> you've rolled back your original complaint.

Someone traced that down.  Seems the systemd dependency is from a
Recommend or two for wicd. But this is all academic now.  I've decided
to abandoned wicd.  wifi-radar looked good and installed without a
hitch.