Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 20:03:00 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 16:34:13 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > But there is an "option" in the sources.list line. Well, not really
> > an option, as can be seen by looking at the ONE-LINE-STYLE FORMAT
> > section of sources.list(5). This begins:
> >
> >   Files in this format have the extension .list. Each line
> >   specifying a source starts with a type (e.g. deb-src)
> >   followed by options and arguments for this type.
>
> It can happen that a line such as
>
>   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/main/
> gives the error message " ... does not have a Release file
>
> Leaving aside the validity of the line, this message is an indication
> that an option has not been delivered to apt correctly.

A resumé of parts of the first few messages in this thread might focus
minds. It started with

  > I edited sources.list to read
  >   deb file:///home/richard/dvd.iso stretch main contrib trusted=yes

It was pointed out by Dan Ritter (correctly) that

  > The problem is that the .iso is not a mounted filesystem.

There is another mistake in the line which was regrettably perpetuated
by Dan when he gave the revised line

  > deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount stretch main contrib trusted=yes

On the OP saying

  > I now get a different error message:
  >   The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvdmount stretch Release' is not signed.

the advice was

  > Try [trusted=yes] and/or [allow-insecure=yes]

Hmm, an example line might have prevented the slide into apt mayhem.

At this point my guess would be that the OP substituted one malformed
line for another malformed line and sank deeper into the morass. A
rescue could be effected by using sources.lis(5) but there is, as yet,
no sign that its advice has been followed or tried.

--
Brian.