Re: Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?

On Sat 01 Jun 2019 at 09:12:16 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/31/2019 01:31 PM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > new idea after googling and finding several examples like Dan Ritter's
> > proposal:
> >
> > Try the "exact path" form of "suite":
> >
> >    deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/main/
> >    deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/contrib/
> >
> > or the usual form without mentioning (demanding ?) "stretch":
> >
> >    deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool main contrib
> >
> > Reasoning:
> >
> > You report this program message:
> > > The repository 'file:/home/richard/dvdmount/pool stretch Release'
> > > does not have a Release file.
> >
> > /mnt/iso/pool has "main" and "contrib" but no "stretch".
> >
> > man 5 sources.list says:
> >
> >         deb [ options ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
> >      [...]
> >      can specify an exact path, in which case the components must be omitted
> >      and suite must end with a slash (/). This is useful for the case when
> >      only a particular sub-section of the archive denoted by the URI is of
> >      interest. If suite does not specify an exact path, at least one
> >      component must be present.
> >
> > Suite "stretch" is neither "exact path" nor does it appear in the pool
> > tree of DVD 1.
> >
> > Further for the "exact path" case:
> >
> >      In the traditional style sources.list format since only one
> >      distribution can be specified per line it may be necessary to have
> >      multiple lines for the same URI, if a subset of all available
> >      distributions or components at that location is desired.
> >

> I first tried
>   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool main contrib
> Then
>   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/main/
>   deb file:///home/richard/dvdmount pool/contrib/
>
> Both gave " ... does not have a Release file" messages.
> The later also said:
> > Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and
> > is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8) manpage
> > for repository creation and user configuration details.
>
> I suspect I'm running up against two things:
> 1. Documentation (esp man pages) authors assume *ALL* readers have
>    the same background they do. I don't. {I was on the other side
>    ~50 years ago as an Engineering Co-op student writing the
>    inspection manual for a new oscilloscope ;}
> 2. Changes in what apt identifies acceptable repositories.
>
> I'm reading or re-reading:
>    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/index.en.html
>
>    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/index.en.html
>
>    https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/apt.8.en.html
>
>    https://manpages.debian.org/jessie/apt/apt.8.en.html
>
>    https://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt/TufDerivedImprovements
>
>    https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/apt-secure.8.en.html
>
>    https://manpages.debian.org/stretch/apt/sources.list.5.en.html
> with special focus on
>    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/aptitude/index.en.html
>    https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/apt.en.html
> [...]

If you have multiple machines, then there's a method I haven't seen
mentioned, which might be worth a try. It doesn't require any unusual
configuration parameters.

Install apt-cacher-ng on one of the systems, then copy all the .debs
into /var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/_import and let it place them all into
a repository. You control the package by pointing your browser at
http://localhost:3142/acng-report.html on the caching machine, and
use the cache by inserting into /etc/apt/apt.conf a line like
Acquire::http::Proxy "http://192.168.1.NNN:3142/";
depending on your network configuration.

Cheers,
David.