Re: pmount could perhaps be of greater utility?

On 12.05.19 13:45, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Sunday, 12 May 2019 at 17:52, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > On 11.05.19 14:38, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> >> This is nice; is there an equivalent for FAT file systems?  Most of the
> >> devices I mount using pmount are sd cards (cameras etc.).
> >
> > Pmount is just a wrapper around the standard mount program, and that
> > will try to guess the fs type if not specified in the invocation - as
> > above. That manages ext2 and ext3 without assistance, but ... Ah, yes,
> > with a vfat stick it gives:
>
> Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I use pmount all the
> time.  Works fine.  What I was looking for was an equivalent of e2label
> for vfat, if that even makes any sense.

Dunno how much sense can be found here, as dosfslabel doesn't do it, but
this gives the appearance of doing it for me:

$ blkid | awk --field-separator '"' '/sdb1/ { print $2 }'
4DAB-09E3

from blkid's line:

/dev/sdb1: UUID="4DAB-09E3" TYPE="vfat"

As it replicates the automounter's behaviour, and that uses the label
for ext[23] sticks, I'm happy to take that UUID as the label, since I
have nothing else to go on. (Never had a winderz box in 30 years in IT,
or the 11 years since.)

Erik