Re: Help, windows dummy has bought one. I need it for a job or 100

On Wednesday 08 May 2019 04:55:47 am john doe wrote:

> On 5/8/2019 10:24 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 May 2019 03:49:34 am Joe wrote:

> >> Shouldn't. I have a W10 netbook, though I'm not familiar with it,
> >> it had Debian installed within a week. Boot (from definitely off)
> >> is less than thirty seconds. Booting should not be held up by
> >> network issues.
> >>
> >> Open up the properties of the Ethernet adaptor, select TCP/IPv4,
> >> Properties, then untick the automatic options. You should be able
> >> to enter values in the address, mask and gateway boxes, and specify
> >> DNS servers below. It shouldn't need a reboot.
> >
> > There is no place in that sequence to select TCP/IPv4 on this
> > machine. If ipv6 dhcp fails, you are apparently screwed. And they
> > call this an OS? Not where (and when) I went to school.
>
> Why not trying command line (netsh)?

netsh was able to apply a static address, but wasn't able to set a DNS.
So I can ping all my machines by address, but can't get past the router
because theres no dns set.

And this is windows 10 HOME EDITION, so there is no place to "run as
admin" in the start menu's.

Next?  And I'm beat, I've been outside aiding and abetting tearing my
yard all to h--- with a medium size Kubuto hoe.  Finding 3 more places
where the 40 yo black waterline was leaking, so we dug all the way to
the house and found the final leak in some galvanized fittings some
idiot used to make the connection between the black plastic and the
copper entering the house. 40 years ago. Fun and games NOT. If the guy
was still living, I'd consider an Alaskan divorce, well worth the cost
of the cartridge. He was famous for cutting every corner he could.

Anyway, in Home Edition of W10, how the heck do you get admin rights?

Many thanks to all that have tolerated me so far, its very much
appreciated.

> --
> John Doe

Cheers, Gene Heskett