Re: notify-send script messed up my environment

On Tuesday 07 May 2019 07:17:11 pm Esteban L wrote:

> Thanks Mr. Ritter for sharing your expertise.
>
> I think the one thing that kind of mystifies me a little is the bus
> pipe. I am not familiar with that. A simple logout and log back in
> made my "environment" return to "normal."
>
> As you recommended, I simply ran the bash script on it's own. It
> worked fine. But, as I was debugging it, over time, it stopped
> working. Perhaps based, as you say, on nautilus getting confused.
>
> It frustrated me a bit. Because, at that point, not even running the
> script, alone, would work.
>
> I found a better solution. I found a python API that was coded
> specifically for this purpose, and I am more familiar with python than
> I am with Bash (though I admit, Bash probably is better suited for
> many tasks at this level). What's the saying about the "devil you
> know?" =)
>
> Thanks again!

I've had a problem, I think with dbus that smells a bit like this.

I've a bash script that sends  inotifywait to watch the mail dir in /var,
and when one of the files is closed after writing and incoming mail to
it, returns to my script with the name of the file and sends kmail a
dbus message to go get mail $name. At the same time it relaunches
inotifywait to resume the watch. kmail goes and gets the mail, zeroing
out the contents of /var/mail/$name. But on wheezy that got iffy after
20+ days of uptime and I had to reboot to "clean" house or whatever was
muching things up. In that 20 days, dbus probably handled 350 to 600
cycles a day.  Now I haven't enough uptime on 64 bit stretch to test it
yet.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)