Re: apache2 missing a file, won't run.

On Monday 06 May 2019 11:33:33 am Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 04:24:45PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Mon 06 May 2019 at 09:43:16 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > Log out and back in to acquire the new privileges in your
> > > interactive session.
> > >
> > > However, in the case of CUPS via loopback HTTP, I don't know
> > > whether that's actually required.  The CUPS daemon may take the
> > > privileges directly from the /etc/{passwd,group} files.
> >
> > It is required and conspicuously documented for all users, including
> > experienced ones, if they can be bothered to do read it. For
> > example, in the cups README.Debian.
> >
> >   'Administration' is where you need to be to set up a local print
> > queue. At some point you will be required to authenticate. A User
> > Name of 'root' and root's password is always acceptable. Any other
> > user must be a member of the lpadmin group.
>
> I don't see any part of that paragraph that says whether you have to
> log out and back in, between adding yourself to the lpadmin group and
> using the CUPS web interface.

Logged out no, started a new konsole and ran ff from it yes. Managed to
get the little b&w laser working, but a 2 year old 11x17 MFC? Won't
configure, missing file although the latest driver kit from brother is
installed, so I find I have a nearly $700 scanner/copier/printer thats
been discontinued!  And they've blocked or removed any access to the old
files.  Thats generated a nastygram to brother, its a 2 year old
printer.

> I've only ever used root for this, so I don't know from experience
> either.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)