Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

I've been trying various kernel command line parameters that have been
suggested in this thread. None of these made any noticeable difference:

· acpi=off
· systemd.restore_state=0
· init=/lib/sysvinit/init
· init=/bin/sh

I also found a parameter called initcall_debug that seemed like it
might provide more data, but that didn't lead anywhere either.

Even with init=/bin/sh I still see the string "starting version 232" –
which is the version number of SystemD – and "uninitialized urandom
read" messages that mention systemd-udevd and udevadm. Fortunately the
presence or absence of "quiet" has an obvious effect. Otherwise I would
have started to think that Grub ignored my changes to the command line.

Unpacking and examining initrd.img-4.9.0-9-686 I find that /sbin/init
is actually Busybox. So is /bin/sh, so that might explain why they both
do the same thing. /lib/sysvinit/init doesn't exist in the initrd, but
apparently Busybox gets started anyway. (Perhaps Linux falls back on
the default if the requested init program doesn't exist?) It seems that
I'll have to hack the initrd somehow if I am to get at a shell and poke
around in the initrd environment.

Booting from USB has been suggested several times. I'll do that if
someone can tell me the magic incantation that makes Combios boot a USB
device. I doubt it's possible. PXE booting is supposed to work. Maybe
some day in a few weeks or months I'll find the time to set up a boot
server.

Björn Persson