Re: which mutt?

On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 10:51 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 08:43 -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> > AFAIK in Stretch Mutt actually means Neomutt. There was a flamewar between
> > the
> > package maintainer and the Mutt guy a while ago about that. It wasn't
> > pretty[1,2].
> >

> > In Buster, Mutt means Mutt, and Neomutt means Neomutt.
>
> Is there a formal policy or plan for how issues like this are handled in
> the future *before* flamewars begin?  There was a similar issue with
> mailx (bsd-mailx, heirloom-mailx, s-nail) where decisions were made by
> one group and offences were taken by others.  It just seems like a clear
> policy could prevent a lot of these "name takeover" issues.

	I'm not sure about what happened to mailx, but with Mutt it was a bad
decision made by the package maintainer years ago when applying the Neomutt
patch became too cumbersome; it was not foreseen in Debian Policy, so I don't
think there is any provision for it in it. That's probably why it ended up in a
flame like that.

--
[]'s,

Francisco M Neto