Re: Is there a way to install Debian iso's from an existing installation onto a USB connected drive?

Quoting Albretch Mueller (2019-05-02 14:42:08)
>  something like:
>
>  1) download the iso's
>
>  2) go: <some application> /dev/sdb
>
>  where "/dev/sdb" is the device a USB disk is linked to
>
>  then you would plug the disk on your computer and take it from there
>
>  For that I used to burn live DVD but there should be a better way

Debian ISOs specifically are prepared to be used not only on optical
drives but also booted from e.g. USB flash drives.

So "the better way" is to simply copy the image onto the device:

  sudo cp downloaded_image /dev/sdb

There is a cargo cult preaching the use of "dd" but that tool is like
cutting trees with scissors: The wrong tool for the job!

There are some suggesting to avoid the need for sudo by messing with
udev rules to grant non-root write access to removable devices.  When
properly established that is indeed more safe, but setting it up can go
wrong in just as bad and more complex ways to decipher than simply
mistyping the device name and wiping your main system drive.

 - Jonas