forcedeth?

Greetings all;

Ha anything been done to forcedeth since wheezy? I have installed the
LCNC version of stretch on two machines so far, an old Dell GX520 and
this machine, which has an Asus M2n-sli deluxe mobo, which has nvidia
ethernet ports using forcedeth.

The network was easy to make work after the install (the installer
doesn't keep the settings its given, and which work during the install,
but there is no way to get the networking going after the installs
reboot on this machine. I have a hosts file based local network with
about 10 names in the /etc/hosts file. hostname and domainname are
properly set on both machines,

/etc/resolv.conf reports:
gene@vna:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
search coyote.den
nameserver 192.168.71.1

On both machines.

To get the Dell to work, all I had to do was
edit /etc/network/interfaces.d/setup and make it look like this:
gene@vna:/etc/network/interfaces.d$ cat setup
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.71.7/24
gateway 192.168.71.1

And restart the networking.

But on this machine the stretch install shows:
gene@coyote:/etc$ cat /media/usb0/etc/network/interfaces.d/setup
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.71.3/24
gateway 192.168.71.1

And theres no way to even trace its failure because strace is not
installed. The error message is very explicit, RTNETWORK, whatever the
heck that is, says "file exists", followed by "failed."

Do I file a bug against forcedeth? or whats next?  Or if someone is using
forcedeth and made it work, what did you do?  I am at wits end.

Thanks for reading everybody.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)