Re: Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> The officially supported CPUs - and how to check if yours is covered:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.da.html#i386-is-now-almost-i686

According to that test my processor should be OK. It has all of those
flags.

Brian wrote:
> If it helps, 'cat /proc/cpuinfo" for my running Fujitsu Siemens A250 is:
>
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 5
> model           : 10
> model name      : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 498.046
> cache size      : 128 KB
> physical id     : 0
> siblings        : 1
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 1
> apicid          : 0
> initial apicid  : 0
> fdiv_bug        : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow 3dnowprefetch vmmcall
> bugs            : sysret_ss_attrs spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass
> bogomips        : 996.09
> clflush size    : 32
> cache_alignment : 32
> address sizes   : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
> power management:

Mine is:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 5
model		: 10
model name	: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping	: 2
microcode	: 0x8b
cpu MHz		: 499.891
cache size	: 128 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow vmmcall
bogomips	: 999.78
clflush size	: 32
cache_alignment	: 32
address sizes	: 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

The family, model and stepping numbers are the same. The flags are the
same except for 3dnowprefetch. I guess different versions of Linux
might explain some differences.

So far I've seen two replies saying it should work and two saying it
should not, so I'm rather confused at the moment.

> brian@futro:~$ uname -a
> Linux futro 4.9.0-7-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u1 (2018-08-03) i586 GNU/Linux

That's an older Linux than I got. Perhaps I could try that package, if
I can get hold of it.

Björn Persson