Re: firefox > Preferences > When Firefox starts.

On Thu 25 Apr 2019 at 12:28:37 (-0400), Lee wrote:
> On 4/25/19, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Just out of curiosity - do you think pi-hole is aimed at policy
> >> implementers or end users?
> >
> > I don't know about their policies, or whether they have any. I've not
> > found any description of how you would configure it, only how you
> > install it. Do they provide blacklists?
>
> It looks like they give you a default list of lists that you can modify:
> https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/blob/master/automated%20install/basic-install.sh#L1181

Yes, and taking one of the sites mentioned, I see they explain their
policy at https://hosts-file.net/?s=policy
and that's what I want done for me.

> > It's also not clear to me where I should install it to. My router
> > uses the Google nameservers, and all my machines have the router
> > as their nameserver. The router is the only part of the network
> > that's always up and running.
>
> I have a server that I leave running all the time;

… and I don't.

> reconfigure your
> router to use your dns server

… which doesn't exist …

> instead of google, add a firewall rule
> to block all outgoing tcp/udp traffic to port 53 except from the
> server & you're done.
>
> > But let me explain what I mean by those terms I used earlier:
> >
> >     Mechanism: Any method of modifying the result of trying to resolve
> >     foo.bar to an IP address, irrespective of the specific domainnames
> >     which somebody has to give to it. My mechanism is resolving to
> >     localhost.
> >
> >     Policy implementers: The people who make the decisions about which
> >     domainnames should have their resolution modified. If you look
> >     through the reference I gave for the source of my /etc/hosts, you
> >     can see their policies listed as comments bracketing the sections,
> >     and they are:

[snipped]

> >     End-users: The people whose browsing experience are improved by
> >     the policies selected, and implemented using the chosen mechanism.

> But the holes get opened only after someone reports a problem.  If
> you're using a host file, how do you figure out which host name(s)
> being blocked are causing the problem?

I guess the people who report the problem figure that out. Looking at
the comments, they're not services that I use.

> I never figured out an easy way to troubleshoot hostfiles & switched
> to something that logged what all was blocked and allowed.

That would be easy to check. I build /etc/hosts with a commandline:

# cat /root/hosts-[0-9]-*[^~] | sed -e "/^[[:space:]]*192.168.1.[0-9]\+[[:sp
ace:]]\+$HOSTNAME.corp[[:space:]]\+$HOSTNAME\$/s/[[:space:]]*\([0-9.]\+\)[[:sp
ace:]]\+\(.*\)\$/127.0.1.1\t\2\t# \1/" > /etc/hosts

so I would hide Dan's file (whose final destination is a file that
matches /root/hosts-[0-9]-*[^~]) before rerunning that command.

> >> https://dnsrpz.info/
> >> If you're a business, you can buy access to an rpz feed.
> >
> > I'm not, but I take it that different feeds have different policies on
> > which sites to include, and come at different prices.
> >
> >> If you're a [home?] network admin it's simple enough to enable logging
> >> & see what all is allowed that you'd rather have blocked.  And/or grab
> >> things like Dan Pollock's list and turn them into an rpz file.
> >
> > Frankly, I don't want to be bothered with processing the list.
>
> That makes it easy then, stay with what you've got :)

Sure. I like to publicise it when I'm reminded that its use might help
someone else fix any sort of problem.

Cheers,
David.