Re: Simple Linux to Linux(Debian) email

mick crane wrote:
> On 2019-04-12 10:57, Dan Purgert wrote:
>> mick crane wrote:

>>> Ok I think I see, you can host your own domain if you have a fixed
>>> ipaddress but if have ipaddress that changes need to register domain
>>> name and have company host it and advertise they know where it is but
>>> can change the nameservers for the domain from theirs to yours at
>>> changed ipaddress.
>>> You can't willy nilly broadcast any domain to the internet yourself.
>>
>> Well, once your domain is registered (for example, mine), you can
>> either
>>

>>   1. give your registrar the IP address they should point the domain
>> to.
>>       This is easiest with static IP address assignments from your ISP,
>>       but there's no reason you couldn't do it on a dynamic IP
>>
>>   OR
>>
>>   2. Use a dynamic DNS provider (e.g. dyndns, no-ip, afraid, many
>>       others), and have them automatically update the DNS registration
>>       when your IP address changes.
>>
>> Note that for option 2, you tell your registrar to use those other
>> nameservers, rather than their own.
>>
>> I use option 2 myself, registered via ... oh I think 1&1 ... but using
>> no-ip to provide my dyndns (although the IP hasn't changed in well over
>> a year - I still don't want to be caught unawares :) )
>
> I thought those dynamic dns services offered a sub domain of their own
> domains.

Yes, that's for the freebie service (where offered).  I think it's
$14.95 for the year from no-ip service for my domain.

> Can you have any registered domain point to dynamic dns servers and them
> redirect it ?

If it's yours, and you're paying enough to the service.

> I have wondered what they do to stop people broadcasting their own top
> level domain.

They can't; at least not publicly.  There's a hierarchy to DNS servers,
and, well, it'd take some doing to supplant the root servers.

--
|_|O|_|