Re: build vs install

On 4/9/19, Michael Howard wrote:
> On 09/04/2019 16:35, Lee wrote:
>> What are the downsides to getting the source code and doing the
>> build/install myself vs. using a pre-built package other than I'm
>> responsible for noticing the software needs to be updated?
>>
>> The latest example is ttcp
>>    http://nuttcp.net/nuttcp/latest/  has 8.1.4
>>    https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nuttcp  has 6.1.2-4
>>
>> If I ever decide to go with the debian package I just uninstall the
>> software I built and .. anything else that needs to be done before
>> installing an official package?
>>
>> TIA
>> Lee
>>
> You could build a debian package from the source and let apt take care
> of install/updates/uninstall. Admittedly, it could be a bit of work
> initially with versions so far apart as above but it is an option.

That's an interesting idea.  Get the debian stuff from
  https://packages.debian.org/stretch/nuttcp
and see which patches still apply to the current version of the software.

But I'm missing what letting apt take care of
install/updates/uninstall gets me since I'd be the one creating &
updating the home-built package.

Thanks,
Lee