Re: Systemd files on a Raspberry Pi

	Hi.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 09:56:30PM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/2/19 6:44 pm, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> > On 10/2/19 10:28 am, chris wrote:
> >> so relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_AIw9bGogo
> >
> > I've seen references to that video and have not yet watched it.
> >
> > I also understand that people have differing views on what the
> > presenter concludes or rather the real purpose of the talk.
>
> Okay, I've watched it now.  I am not convinced that his idea of
> "create this or that yourself" is a fair retort.

There are historical precedents. AIX's init inspired Solaris' SMF which
in turn inspired systemd.

> I still consider that systemd has caused considerable harm to Debian
> as well as the general Linux community.

Those who do not want systemd are free not to use it. And Debian is one
of the few Linux distributions which provides such choice.

> The changes were not necessary, systemd is, even as a collection,
> bloatware.

Moreover, it's a bloatware with fundamental security problems.

> The "Unix is dead" comment was interesting.

AIX and Solaris (well, AIX mostly) are begging to differ.
Free software Unix (if such thing ever existed) - that's dead for sure.

> Has it really has become Linux or nothing?

No. See SCO vs IBM case. Linux is not Unix, and never has been.

> It is a pity that Oracle has their licensing problems in relation to
> ZFS

Please blame Sun Microsystems for *that*. Oracle's merely keeping the
status-quo.

> and there are great alternative implementations now;

You mean, ZFS-on-Linux? It's a fork of OpenSolaris' ZFS implementation,
not something that's written from scratch.

Reco