Re: Partition information as text file?

On Sat 02 Feb 2019 at 10:58:09 (+0100), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 07:05:53PM -0600, David Wright wrote:

> > > *CAVEAT* LECTOR
> > > It is more like Tk being a GUI interface for Tcl.
> >
> > Sure, and for several other languages, but I assume you wouldn't want
> > a GUI interface for your text-producing script even if you write it
> > in Tcl.
>
> Tcl still makes for a reasonable scripting language. It's just a bit
> different of most "modern" languages (except perhaps shell), so for
> Perlies and Pythoners and PHPers it takes some "getting used" to.
>
> But it is pretty powerful.

Yes, I remember Tkinter's thinness overlying it: it would occasionally
be necessary to tickle the Tcl to get precisely what you wanted.

But as for being different, I've found nothing to approach Spitbol
(a superior implementation of Snobol, which I ran on IBM 370s in the
'70s and '80s and then on Vaxen into the mid-'90s). Fortunately
when it fell by the wayside, I found Perl, with its associative
arrays, and even an implementation of Perl on DOS, which kept me
going until I started using Python on linux in late '95.

Cheers,
David.