Re: INQUIRY

On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 18:38:56 +0100 (CET)
<darkskyz666@tutanota.de> wrote:

> Hello Debian , I'm getting error while installing grub in Debian.
> The error is "unable install grub in dummy"
> My intention is to dual boot debian and windows.

Well, I have no idea what "dummy" is in this context.

Most Windows installations are to /dev/sda1 (the main Windows
partition) and /dev/sda2 (the Windows recovery partition). Assuming you
have shrunk your Windows partition, rather than install a second drive
for Linux (you didn't say), your boot partition will be /dev/sda3 or
higher. Other partitions will be /dev/sda5 and/or higher. And all of
that discussion ignores UEFI issues....

Since you want a dual-boot setup, you have several options. One is to
have Windows present a boot menu, with an entry for Linux. Another is
to use grub to boot both Linux and Windows. In the former case, you
install grub to the Linux boot partition. In the latter, to /dev/sda.
And again, that ignores UEFI, which is a whole other can of lawyers.

So what is the *exact* error message you got?

Which version of Linux? Debian, I expect. But which version of Debian?
And which of the many possible installation patterns are you trying to
use?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com