Re: Home made backup system

Hi,

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Just to confirm, I assume that is true ("no way to skip ahead to byte
> > 31337") even if the underlying media is a (somewhat random access) disk
> > instead of (serial access) tape?

It is about not knowing to what byte address to skip.
tar is simply a sequence of file containers. File header, data, next file
header, data, and so on.
Lacking is a kind of directory, which predicts where a particular file
begins.

There are archivers which have such a catalog. With some quillings this
constitutes a filesystem.

> > In other words, I suspect it would be more reliable if it functioned a
> > little bit more like a WORM (Write Once, Read Many) type device

That would be CD-R, DVD-R, DVD+R, and BD-R media.

> > data is appended by  writing in previously unused locations
> > rather than deleting some data,

That's called multi-session. It has other advantages beyond reducing the wear
of media. Typical filesystem for multi-session on write-once media is ISO 9660.

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> "Write Once, Read Many" is an entirely different data storage paradigm.
> Think of a large dusty vault full of optical media.

One can destroy them physically. Put stack-wise into the oven at 200 C / 400 F
for 10 minutes. Wear robust gloves when bending and breaking the hot media.
Single media can be destroyed by help of a lighter.

> Very expensive, and very niche.

One can buy 25 GB BD-R for less than a dollar, 50 GB for less than 2 dollar.
The usefulness depends on the storage constraints of orginal and backup.

> You can't reuse the medium, nor do you WANT to

If you want to re-use, there are CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-RAM, BD-RE.
Multi-session is possible on them with ISO 9660 filesystems.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas