systemd, cgroups, lxc, rsyslog

Hi all,

I've got a problem in some of my LXC containers, running buster.

Logrotate can't HUP rsyslog with "systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service":

$ sudo systemctl kill -s HUP rsyslog.service
Failed to kill unit rsyslog.service: Input/output error

I can HUP it fine manually, with:

$ sudo kill -HUP `pgrep rsyslog`

... which suggests it's something different in the way systemd does
things. My guess then is that it relates to cgroups, which I believe
both systemd and LXC make use of, but which I don't fully understand.

I thought I'd file a bug for this, but decided to double check (and test
in bullseye and sid) by creating a new container - but the problem
doesn't occur there.

The problematic containers are created in a similar way, but also
configured with ansible, which I concede may do some things that aren't
tailored correctly to buster.

Any tips on where I should be looking?

I found a few promising leads with a web search, but they all in the end
seemed to lead somewhere else.

Cheers,
Richard