Re: why xawtv isn't available in buster?

Thank The Wanderer!
maybe many watch online  video, few use cable tv

On Saturday, November 23, 2019, 5:41:23 AM GMT+8, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

On 2019-11-22 at 16:24, Long Wind wrote:

> because few users need it ??

The package event log at https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/xawtv shows that
it was removed from testing (which, at the time, was buster) on January
26th.

The removal message, linked to from that log entry and available at
https://tracker.debian.org/news/1024523/xawtv-removed-from-testing/,
indicates that it was failing to build with the version of the libc6
package(s) which are included in buster.

As it couldn't build against buster, it couldn't be released as part of
buster. That's likely the only reason why it wasn't included.

According to the bug report cited in that removal message, available at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=916114, the build
failure was fixed in August - well after buster had been released.

With that fix in place, xawtv is available in current testing. A
backport might be possible, but I don't know what it would take to make
it happen, beyond someone stepping forward to put in the necessary work.
I'd expect that it's also likely that it will be included in bullseye
when that gets released.

--
  The Wanderer

progress depends on the unreasonable man.        -- George Bernard Shaw