recurse does not work?

Hi,

I have a directory with some sub directories and all of those have one or more shells scripts.
This script need the execute bit set so I thought a simple chmod -R -v +x ping/*.sh would do it, NOT :-(
Why not? ls does not seem to recurce either so it must be something general I am missing
First a ls of the ping directory that DOES recurse.
-----<quote>---------------------
beheerdertio@einpingme:~$ ls ping -R
ping:
amssan  amsstaf  amswan  einstud  getloss-all.sh  getloss.sh  hglsan  hglstaf  hglwan  rtmsan  rtmstaf  rtmwan  showloss-today.sh  showtime-today.sh  utrcity  utrjcw  utrsan  utrstaf  utrwan

ping/amssan:
pinglog.sh

ping/amsstaf:
pinglog.sh

ping/amswan:
pinglog.sh

ping/einstud:
pinglog.sh

ping/hglsan:
pinglog.sh

ping/hglstaf:
pinglog.sh

ping/hglwan:
pinglog.sh

ping/rtmsan:
pinglog.sh

ping/rtmstaf:
pinglog.sh

ping/rtmwan:
pinglog.sh

ping/utrcity:
pinglog.sh

ping/utrjcw:
pinglog.sh

ping/utrsan:
pinglog.sh

ping/utrstaf:
pinglog.sh

ping/utrwan:
pinglog.sh
-----<quote>---------------------

So now  want only the *.sh (shell script)  files

beheerdertio@einpingme:~$ ls -R ping/*.sh
ping/getloss-all.sh  ping/getloss.sh  ping/showloss-today.sh  ping/showtime-today.sh

beheerdertio@einpingme:~$ chmod -R -v +x ping/*.sh
mode of 'ping/getloss-all.sh' retained as 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of 'ping/getloss.sh' retained as 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of 'ping/showloss-today.sh' retained as 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
mode of 'ping/showtime-today.sh' retained as 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)

But neither recurses into the directories.
Maybe because none of the directories has a *.sh name, how illogical that sounds, that would make the -R option pretty useless I think.
But if that is the case then how do I change all the *.sh files in those directories to an executable, other than doing it one by one.

Bonno Bloksma