Re: pkg-config does not see a package that i installed via apt-get (libmypaint)

On 2019-11-11 at 22:39, Dan Hitt wrote:

> I installed the package libmypaint1.3.0 on my debian 10 system.
>
> I can tell it is installed because when i run the command
> sudo apt-get install libmypaint-1.3.0
> the system responds with "libmypaint-1.3-0 is already the newest version".
>
> It also says "libmypaint-1.3-0 set to manually installed", which i do not
> know how to interpret.

If you install a package named foo, and that package depends on another
one named libbar, libbar will be installed but marked as automatically
installed. What that means in practice is that if you later remove foo,
apt will detect that nothing needs to keep libbar around, and will
suggest that you might want to remove it. (At least I believe that's the
default configuration.)

If you want to keep libbar around for other reasons - for example, if
you've compiled a program which loads that library, but haven't built a
package to let apt know about that - then you can mark libbar as
manually installed, and apt won't suggest removing it anymore.

In practice doing this with library packages directly is usually not a
great idea; it's usually better to do it with the matching -dev package
instead. Speaking of which:

> Nevertheless, if i run the command
> pkg-config --exists --print-errors "libmypaint >= 1.3.0"
> i get the message "No package 'libmypaint' found" (and exit status 1).

package-config draws on .pc files.

$ apt-file search libmypaint.pc
libmypaint-dev: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libmypaint.pc

The .pc file for libmypaint is in libmypaint-dev, not in libmypaint-1.3-0.

Try installing the -dev package.

--
   The Wanderer