Re: changing desktop manager from gnome to xfce in debian

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 1:28 PM David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 08:11, Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> I still would like a programmatic/command-line way of detecting what the desktop.

Try this command, shown here with the output I get on my system
which uses the LXDE desktop. Whatever output you get will depend
on whatever environment variables your desktop sets.

$ env | grep -i DESKTOP
DESKTOP_SESSION=LXDE
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=lightdm-xsession
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=LXDE
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session0

Great, thanks David.

I think it's useful to do something like this so that everything is very concrete.

I have the same 5 variables (with xfce values in 3 of them).

Thanks everybody (David, Liam, Joe) for your help.

dan