Re: KISS gpg

> The current default version of GnuPG, since 2015, necessarily uses a
> client-server agent to access the private keys. While it is convenient
> and secure for everyday use, but for some tasks, the efforts it makes to
> protect my files from myself prevent me from doing the tasks I want.

Not sure how the above relates to the following question, so maybe
I misunderstand something.

> As a short-term solution, does anyone know how to add a pass phrase to a
> private key while exporting it, without changing it on the storage?

I'm not very knowledgeable in GPG, but AFAICT it only offers commands to
export public keys, not private/secret keys.  So I think you're stuck
with copying by hand the actual file that holds the private key
(somewhere in ~/.gnupg) if you want to "export" it.  Once you've done
that, you can put it in "another-dir" with a similar structure and then
use

    gpg --homedir ../another-dir --change-passphrase

to change its passphrase.

        Stefan