Re: firefox pasting using xclip replaces line ends with spaces

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 03:02:07PM -0400, songbird wrote:

>   quick answer install and use xsel instead.
>

>   a FYI,  :)
>

> # did not work
> $ xclip -selection clip-board -i list-alpha

Your subject header says,
"Subject: Re: firefox pasting using xclip replaces line ends with spaces"

I am reporting that here, because your email body does not say what
the problem is, and there's no telling how the Subject header will be
altered as the thread progresses.

I cannot reproduce the symptom you describe in the Subject.

I tested BOTH directions: copying from firefox and pasting with "xclip -o"
into a terminal, as well as creating an HTML page with a textarea widget,
and then pasting into that with the mouse, after "xclip -i".

In both cases, the pasted output retained its newlines.

The actual HTML I used for the test:

<title>Text area test</title>
<textarea rows="5" cols="80"></textarea>

My terminal is urxvt (rxvt-unicode).  Relevant package versions
are indicated below.

ii  firefox-esr    68.2.0esr-1~deb10u1 amd64        Mozilla Firefox web browser - Extended Support Release (ESR)
ii  rxvt-unicode   9.22-6              amd64        RXVT-like terminal emulator with Unicode and 256-color support
ii  xclip          0.13-1              amd64        command line interface to X selections