Re: Script does not do what it is told to do

On 2019-10-26 9:55 p.m., The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2019-10-26 at 21:33, Ken Heard wrote:
>
>> The tar scripts now look like this.
>> #!/bin/bash # Script to back up all browser files in directory
>> /home/ken/mozilla. echo here tar -cpzf
>> /media/fde/backups/kbrowsers.tgz  --exclude-caches --wildcards -T
>> docs/tarlists/kbrowsers.lst
>> ------------------------------------------------------- This one
>> exceptionally has 'echo here" above the tar command at the
>> suggestion of Kushal Kumeran.
>
> Where is this script located (full path and filename)?
>
> If I'm reading things right, you also might want to either put the
> 'cd /home/ken' line back (no need for the other cd), or use the
> full path to kbrowsers.lst instead of a relative path; otherwise
> this won't work right if you run it from any directory which
> doesn't have that relative path under it.
>
> (If kbrowsers.lst has relative paths in it, this might not work
> correctly from another location without the cd anyway, even if you
> do use a full path on the command line. I don't have experience
> with that tar feature myself.)
>
>> Also at his request I ran the following two commands: 'which
>> tarkbrowsers' which returned '/home/ken/bin/tarkbrowsers', and
>> 'cat $(which tarkbrowsers)' which returned
>> ------------------------------------------------------- # Script
>> to back up all browser files in directory /home/ken/mozilla.
>> CURPWD=$PWD cd /home/ken tar -czf
>> /media/ssda/backups/kbrowsers.tgz  --exclude-caches --wildcards
>> -T docs/tarlists/kbrowsers.lst cd $CURPWD
>> ------------------------------------------------------- As this
>> return includes the change of directories commands it is clear
>> that somewhere there is a series of extraneous scripts but the
>> software is being coy about telling me where they are.
>
> Eh? No, it isn't. It already told you clearly that this latter
> script is '/home/ken/bin/tarkbrowsers'.
>
> Your mail doesn't (seem to?) give us enough information for us to
> identify where the former of the two given scripts is, but
> presumably you know where to find that one, since you were able to
> give its contents here.
>
> If you don't want to run this latter version of the script, either
> move it out of its current directory (which is apparently in your
> PATH), or replace it with the version you do want to run.
>

> (I'm presuming that the newline between '--exclude-caches' and
> '--wildcards' in each script is an artifact of the mail process,
> and not present in the actual on-disk script. If it *is* present
> there, then these are both going to break and not do what you
> expect.)

Thank you for your prompt response.  I understand what you mean about
full and relevant paths.  I will have to look into this issue; it may
affect the outcome of the script regardless of the computer as both
the Toronto and Thailand computers are set up the same way, with the
same paths, etc.

Regards, Ken