Re: Problem with apt update

On 10/20/2019 10:41 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:25:27AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
I know the the command worked because I can access -i386 applications. However, when I run:

comp@AbNormal:~$ sudo -s apt update
<apt output showing InRelease, but no Packages.diff>
none of the Debian i386 repositories are listed. Why is this the case?
If the mirror has not changed its contents since your last update, apt
will only show *checking* Release files, but won't show downloading new
index files.

For instance, these are shown without an architecture:

Get:1 http://security.debian.org buster/updates InRelease [39.1 kB]
Hit:2 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [49.3 kB]
Get:4 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-backports InRelease [46.7 kB]

But these ones are shown with the one:

Ign:6 http://security.debian.org buster/updates/main arm64 Packages
Ign:7 http://security.debian.org buster/updates/main amd64 Packages
..
Ign:10 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-updates/main amd64 Packages.diff/Index
Ign:11 http://ftp.debian.org/debian buster-updates/main arm64 Packages.diff/Index

Also, if you need to check your multiarch status, the following does it
for me (any meaningful library should do it):

apt policy libc6:*

Reco

Thanks for the reply. your suggestion shows that the i386 files are, indeed, there. My main concern is the corollary to Murphy's Law - 'if one thing is wrong many others are probably at risk also'.

Happily, that doesn't seem to be the case, at least so far!.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net