Re: Persistent names for audio devices.

From:	Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>, Sun, 20 Oct 2019 18:23:08 +0300
> Mail headers are mangled,

Yah, sorry.

Textual MUAs aren't outside possibility.

> AUDIODEV=dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 play MY/m85.WAV

Good.

Meanwhile,
peter@joule:/home/peter$ aplay -L | grep dmix:CARD=L
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=0
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=1
dmix:CARD=Live,DEV=2

Try the second DEV,
AUDIODEV=dmix:CARD=Set,DEV=1 play MY/m85.WAV
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1108:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
play FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

And the third,
AUDIODEV=dmix:CARD=Set,DEV=2 play MY/m85.WAV
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1108:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
play FAIL sox: Sorry, there is no default audio device configured

No option to list _configured_ devices?  Maybe refer to /proc/asound/Device/.

> The way I see it, there's no need for these "predictable audio devices
> names", they are here already.

"dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0" could be a name in a hardware manual
published in 1970. I'd still prefer to call a USB headset "USBheadset".

> A viable alternative is to install and use pulseaudio, of course.

Installed it but don't see how it facilitates a text
command to play a WAV.

Thanks for the reply,        ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca