Re: Only boot tty

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 01:14:09PM -0700, ben smith wrote:
> Hi I was installing Debian and after finishing I was only able to boot into a
> tty. There was a problem during install where it wouldn't connect to the mirror
> and I had to go ahead anyway and it said I'd only have basic utilities. I was
> at the library and I may have had a unreliable connection.

You don't get X in that base install.

For some yet-to-be-determined reason, I'm having the same problem on a
reliable Gigabit fiber connection. I wonder if we're both being bit by
the same glitch. Not that I have any idea how to resolve it, but I'm
wondering what you get if you do:

	wget -O - http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/InRelease

If you get a bunch of stuff ending with a PGP signature, we're not alone
in this rickety boat. That would be useful information, I think.

I'm just about to start packet capturing to find out what apt is seeing
that's freaking it out. If anything good comes of it I'll make more
noise here.

--
Art Sackett
http://www.artsackett.com/