Re: Hex editor with ASCII line underneath the line of hex.

> Which hex editor shows a line of hex with the corresponding ASCII under the
> line of hex ?

I suspect that it shouldn't be too hard to get something working if you
start from nhexl-mode in Emacs:

E.g. from

   XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX   abcdefghabcdefgh

you can go to

   XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
   abcdefghabcdefgh

by simply adding an LF char.  Then you can drop the separating spaces
(e.g. by setting nhexl-group-size appropriately):

   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   abcdefghabcdefgh

and finally add an overlay-with-after-string to every char to spread the text

   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   a b c d e f g h a b c d e f g h

> shed is the closest so far with the hex in a column down the page and the
> corresponding ASCII etc next to it.

Not sure what you mean, but this sounds like "the standard" approach, as
used in Emacs's original hexl-mode and my nhexl-mode replacement
(similar to the output of `od -t xz`).

        Stefan