Re: Mate desktop delay

On 10/14/19 8:08 AM, Anuradha Weeraman wrote:
On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:52:50PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
I am running Debian Sid/Buster and the Mate desktop. For the last 4 or 5
weeks there has been a delay of perhaps 30-40 seconds before the desktop
appears. I have looked at dmsg logs and journalctl logs but nothing seems to
stand out.

A year or more ago Mate users had a similar problem - at that time as I
recall it had something to do with the system entropy for random numbers.
Anybody recall this? Could it be back ?

Coincidentally, there has been some conversation on LKML recently about
an issue with getrandom() lacking entropy causing boot hangs. Interesting
read here:

https://lwn.net/Articles/800509/

Interesting article.

Getting back to your issue, you may want to try this out and see if
it works:

# apt install haveged
# systemctl enable haveged
# systemctl start haveged

This was the solution the last time this happened and it's still part
of the system here.

I find it strange the random bug does not delay boot time in my case, but apparently does delay the appearance of the desktop after GDM.

--
Frank McCormick