Re: Authentication for telnet.

From: David Wright, Thu, 10 Oct 2019 00:18:34 -0500
> telnetd is ancient ...

Recency of development is a criterion for choosing a tool.  (?)

The ball-peen hammer as we know it would have been developed before 1900.
Might have been prior to 1800.  The pneumatic hammer was developed in the
1920s and '30s.  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_hammer_(fabrication) )
Therefore we should always choose the pneumatic rather than the ball-peen.

Recency is minded but shouldn't dictate.

> sshd is ... secure.

This scenario is in one machine which is running shorewall. The LAN
has another firewall.  What are the risks to the telnet protocol in
this case?

> Why would you be typing a password after typing ssh localhost?
> Just type:
>
> $ cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

Valid point.

Incidently the hyperlinks in my reply to Charles Curley
( https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/10/msg00479.html ) seem OK.
The list server is is flummoxed when there are more than 2 or 3 or 4
References? Then I should insert only two references.  By hasty count,
6 mouse clicks.

Regards,                        ... Peter E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca