Re: disk going bad? or fuser related issues? . . .

 thank you (also, as part caring for good karma in case someone runs
into such matters) the two (or three) silver lines I got from you
comments were:

 a) defragment that NTFS partition once in a while. i mostly use that
partition to read legacy data, but I didn't know you could defragment
a windows partition within Linux, on unix.stackexchange:

 https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/13976/is-there-a-linux-tool-for-defragging-ntfs-partitions

 they were talking well about:

 https://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/

 which I got:

 # which ntfs-3g
/bin/ntfs-3g

# ntfs-3g --version
ntfs-3g 2016.2.22AR.1 integrated FUSE 28

 b) those disks are pretty full I have heard that disks need some
"elbow room", but I thought that was only necessary if you use them
for reading and writing (not just for linearly reading)

 c) using FAT carries the 4Gb limit on file sizes which I don't want
to be dealing with. I prefer to deal with the other kinds of problems

 lbrtchx