Re: Trying to excute things on boot from /etc/rc.local

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 09:28:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 October 2019 08:57:26 Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 12:58:22AM -0700, didier.gaumet@gmail.com
> wrote:
> > > Is your system a Systemd one (by default in Debian), you have to
> > > enable rc.local:
> > > https://www.linuxbabe.com/linux-server/how-to-enable-etcrc-local-wit
> > >h-systemd
> >
> > You don't have to enable the rc-local service in Debian.  It's already
> > enabled.  You can verify this with systemctl status rc-local.
> >
> > All you have to do are two steps:
> >
> > 1) Make sure /etc/rc.local begins with a valid shebang.
> > 2) Make sure /etc/rc.local has execute permissions.
>
> How long has this been true, Greg? I ask because thats the first place
> I've tried to put things I needed running because it should be last in
> the init sequence.  And I don't recall it ever working since LCNC
> switched to wheezy from ubuntu 8 something. Perhaps this is why?

I have a laptop I purchased in October 2014, which has had wheezy(?) ->
jessie -> stretch -> buster installed on it.  I don't recall for
certain, but I am fairly certain I installed wheezy on it the day it
arrived, but may have been jessie/testing.  In any event, I just
upgraded it to buster over the weekend and I found after the upgrade
that the WiFi does not actually become active until I force a scan.

The approach I took was drop a command (I forget which, precisely and I
don't have the machine available at the moment) into /etc/rc.local.  On
every reboot since the command has been run.  I did not have to enable
or tweak anything in the system or systemd to make it work.  That
particular machine was not one where I had previously used /etc/rc.local
either.

I bring it up since it just occrred for me.  So, my expectation would be
that rc.local is enabled by default on Debian systems.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez