Re: Authentication for telnet.

On 2019-09-30 16:46, Andy Smith wrote:
Hello,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 07:28:45PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
From: peter@easthope.ca
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 08:15:07 -0700
> Opening a terminal emulator in default configuration on localhost, ...

Localhost; not hosts.

It's easy to get confused because your posting style is incredibly
difficult to follow. You break threads and give very little detail.
Help us to help you.

> ... telnet opens in about 1 s. ... ssh requires about 15 s.

If your SSH takes 15 seconds to connect to localhost then you have a
configuration issue. As a first guess, check you do not have it
using DNS.

If it takes that long and eventually connects likely it's something like sshd is trying to figure out from its config file how it is supposed to authenticate, can't, so tries various methods until it finds one that works.

"ssh -v localhost" might give you some hint as to where in the
connection/login process the time is being spent.

But because of your reluctance to tell us exactly what you're trying
to do, we don't even know if ssh is the best tool for the job.

Cheers,
Andy

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31